Saturday, December 29, 2012

Christmas Week With Loved Ones

I've had an eventful, busy week thus far. First of all, Santa came and dropped off some presents for the kids. They were quite happy. "Santa" put a lot of thought in making sure the children didn't receive a bunch of stuff they didn't really want. Quality, not quantity, was the goal this year. I think that goal was met. The kids were happy, and mom is happy. No need to spend unnecessary money and add clutter.




 
 
 
I don't think it's too late to share some of my holiday decorations in my home:
My fireplace setup. I love all of my household's stockings with their initial pin!
 And here are a couple of close ups of some of the ornaments on my tree.  I love my ornament collection.




I bought this table cloth, kitchen towel, and door mat on big clearance at Kohls. I love me a good clearance sale!

My holiday table cloth.


and a more closer look at the details. I love holly and pine cones.

 
Also, my husband's birthday was on Wednesday, the day after Christmas. At this time of year, I've got Christmas presents, and my husband's birthday on the brain. This year, I surprised him with a grill that he really wanted. I think we'll be having some grilled meals in the future!

 
 
A couple of nights ago, we had good friends over for dinner. I am still elated from the joy I received from having them in our home. I said on a couple of occasions, "I should have you guys over some time for dinner." I got sick of hearing myself talk, and decided to act on it. I'm so glad I did. This has been a challenging year for me, with the life change of a new baby, along with still caring for a toddler and two older kids. As I've said before, my house is certainly not put together the way I would like it to be. Add to that the flood earlier this year that has things out of place. The thought of having people over in spite of this is usually cause for increased anxiety for me. I've really made an effort to not let such things get to me as much, and I'm so glad I have. I don't want to waste opportunities to nurture my friendships. I know they don't think less of me. Things will get back in order in due time, but the joy that friendship brings, especially these friends, is priceless. Here are some photos of my table setting:

I made this arrangement from a flower bunch I purchased at Trader Joes.


I used the fine china that I inherited from my mom, and charger plates given to me by my mother in law...

...and these Princess House crystal drinking glasses, also inherited from my mom.

 I never really cared about any of these fancy table settings and such. I probably wouldn't even have any were they not given to me. Now that I have them though, I do like them. It's nice to use pretty, fancy things at times. I think it's important to use our nice, fancy things, even if it's with a bunch of people (including myself), who are normally super casual in nature. We owe it to ourselves to treat ourselves well. Hope everyone had a good week. I'm winding down from this week, and looking forward to 2013.

 



1 comment:

  1. Love it! I had THE best time coming to the fancy dinner! I appreciate all these little "pretty" things in life!

    ReplyDelete