Monday, December 31, 2012

Christmas Packed Up, and Ready to Ring in the New Year!

I packed up all of our Christmas decorations today. As much as I've tried to wait until after the new year to take them down in the past, I've learned that I would much rather start out each New Year clean and fresh, so I have officially made it a new tradition to take the tree and all other decorations down on December 31st of each year. I'm quite excited about the packing job I did.
 
First I put all of the shatterproof generic ornaments in large Hefty zip bags.
 
 
 
I placed all of my treasured keepsake ornaments in a sturdy box, to be covered with tissue, and placed in the large bin.

 

 
 
I'm most excited about the way I stored the lights. I got this idea from "Auntie Martha," better known as Martha Stewart. My friend likes to call her "Auntie Martha," and we've all just become comfortable with it. It just sounds right and normal to me! Ha ha. Anyway, I just took cardboard about the size of the storage box, and I cut a slit at the top and bottom of the cardboard in opposite corners. I put one end of the light strand in one slit, wound it around the cardboard, and placed the other end into the other slit. These cardboard pieces stack so perfectly in the storage container, and no tangles, no fuss for the next time they're needed. Brilliant! Why didn't I think of this before?! Thank you Auntie Martha.
 

 
Now everything is packed away, and ready to go for next Christmas. And now, I have 50 minutes left until 2013. Happy New Year everyone. I'm going to finish watching a movie with my family as we ring in the New Year!

1 comment:

  1. hey I do that with lights and I didn't even know Auntie Martha approved it!

    ReplyDelete